Public notices regarding emergency watermain repairs or scheduled water service disruptions will be posted in the news section. Residents can also sign up for Resident Alert, to receive time-sensitive notifications affecting the Town of Conception Bay South, including unscheduled disruptions to water services.
- Extreme temperature fluctuations in the winter and spring are a leading cause of water disruptions. As the ground freezes and thaws several times it can shift the earth and cause water mains to break.
- This can be enhanced with significant rainfall events that create elevated groundwater tables and subsurface flows.
- Air in the pipes can be caused by several factors including one or more leaks in the pipe line. Air pockets create rapid changing pressure fluctuations that may cause weak points in water mains to fail.
- When disruptions occur as a result of the above, it is not uncommon to have multiple leaks at the same time. Depending on the system layout, one leak may not become apparent until another is repaired.
- Significant rainfall and thaw will cause many sewer pumping stations to operate in high flow mode. Public may see red lights at pumping stations on or flashing during these times. If noticed, please contact the Engineering and Public Works Department at 834-6500 ext. 301 or the Town’s After-Hours Line at 834-6529.
Conception Bay South Water System
- The Conception Bay South water system is a gravity fed system from Bay Bulls Big Pond, Regional Water Authority.
- Due to elevation changes within Conception Bay South, water main pressures range from 50 psi to 150 psi, with short periodic levels lower and higher depending on the season and demand.
- Due to wide pressure ranges, the Town has multiple Pressure Reducing Valves (PRVs) along transmission lines that manage pressures, the highest pressures being at sea level.
- There is a regular maintenance program for water infrastructure and specifically an annual PRV inspection completed by an outside party.
- Water usage is monitored by the Regional Water Authority and any concerning irregularity is reported to the Town immediately.
- During any type of water system disruption, users may notice loss of water pressure or fluctuations, air in their lines, or coloured water.
- Residential and commercial plumbing systems may experience issues if system components have not been maintained or installed to meet the Town’s normal operating pressures.
- The most common reason for residential PRV malfunction is due to debris/dirt.
- High water pressure: This is normally caused by a malfunctioning Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) in the home. This is a problem within your home, we suggest you contact a plumber.
- Low water pressure – single residence only: This is normally caused by a malfunctioning Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) in the home. This is a problem within your home, we suggest you contact a plumber.
- Low water pressure – more than one residence: This could be caused by either a water main leak or a malfunction in Town’s infrastructure. Please contact the Town of Conception Bay South at 834-6500 or after-hours at 834-6529. For additional help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Water main breaks and other water infrastructure failures are unforeseen, and therefore all repairs are emergency in nature. The Town distributes municipal water to the property line and typically the curb stop valve, which is located just inside the property boundary on private property. This allows the property water to be turned off and on.
It is the property owner’s responsibility to install and maintain approved piping and plumbing fixtures beyond the curb stop valve. This may include PRV’s, relief valves, water piping and any other interior fixtures.
It is strongly recommended to check normal operating pressure for your area. The document above provides pressure information, or you may contact email@example.com.
The Town completes regular inspections on water infrastructure. Water infrastructure failures are considered nuisances, not negligence on behalf of the Town. Therefore, claims regarding private plumbing and fixtures will be denied.
It is strongly recommended that property owners check the lifespan of key plumbing fixtures and insure pressure ratings are applicable for the Town’s water pressures.