Garbage Collection Guidelines
The Town of Conception Bay South uses automated waste collection. This means that garbage carts are emptied using a mechanical arm on a garbage truck, eliminating the need for workers to lift and haul garbage. It’s a safer, smarter, and cleaner way to collect garbage!
About the Carts
The Town-supplied carts must be used for automated waste collection – they are electronically tagged to help the Town manage cart inventory, verify the correct address for misplaced carts, and record the maintenance and replacement history of individual carts.
- Carts must be placed at the end of your driveway by 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
- There is an annual cart fee of $20, which will be applied to residential property tax bills. Carts belong to the property, not the property owner. If a resident moves, they must leave their cart behind.
- The cart can fit 4 to 6 full garbage bags. Please place your garbage in regular-sized garbage bags. Loose garbage or garbage in small bags might get stuck in thecart or blow away during the dumping process.
- The carts are equipped with a handle and two large wheels for easy maneuvering. They are weighted at the bottom, while remaining easy to be rolled to the end of a driveway. The carts are capable of withstanding 96 km/hr winds. Similar to today’s waste collection, if there is extreme weather, such as high winds or a snow storm, garbage and recycling collection for that day may be postponed to a new date.
- The program delivers one cart per residential household. An additional cart(s) may be approved where a household has more than one unit/apartment. Residents must request an additional cart by completing the form at the bottom of this page.
Proper Placement of Carts
1. Place garbage bags in the cart with the lid fully closed. On your garbage day, wheel your cart to the edge of the sidewalk/curb or to the roadside. Once your garbage has been collected, please roll your cart back to its proper storage place.
2. The arrow on the cart lid must point toward the street.
3. Leave at least 1 metre (3 feet) of space between your cart and any obstacles, like parked cars, poles, recycling bags, other carts, or snow banks.
- In the winter, please don’t place carts near snow banks or on the road. Ensure 1 metre of spacing between your cart and any obstructions at all times.
- On your garbage collection day, parking is not permitted on the street from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., or until collection in your area is completed.
- Regular maintenance of your cart will be completed by the Town, when necessary. Do not make any alterations to your cart as this will void the warranty. Carts that are lost, stolen or improperly cared for will be replaced at the property owner’s expense. Please make note of the serial number on your cart for future reference.
- There is no change to your garbage and recycling collection days. Recycling should be separated into transparent, blue bags (1 for paper and 1 for containers), and placed at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from your cart.
- Existing garbage boxes must be removed from the end of your property once you receive automated waste collection.
- Read the Residential Waste Regulations.
- Automated Waste Modification Form
- Automated Waste Additional Cart Form
- Garbage Box / Container Collection Form
Contact Engineering and Public Works
Call: (709) 834-6500 ext. 301