When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes. Portable space heaters have become a popular way to supplement central heating or heat one room. If you plan to use portable electric space heaters, make sure to follow these tips and recommendations:
• Purchase a heater with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
• Keep the heater at least 3 feet (1 metre) away from anything that can burn, including people.
• Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
• Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
• Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
• Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
• Keep children away from the space heater.
• Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
• Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.
Fact – Nearly half of all space heater fires involve electric space heaters.
Types of electric space heaters
Oil or water-filled radiator
Heated oil or water travels through the heater.
A fan blows warm air over metal coils.
Air is warmed over a ceramic heating element.
Heat is created by infrared bulbs.
NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION
The leading information and knowledge resource on fire, electrical and related hazards. Learn more.
Conception Bay South Fire Department
For emergencies call 9-1-1