What do I need a permit for and how do I get one? (Home repairs, fences, roofs, siding, etc.)

Most property development, alterations, or repairs will require a permit. Please see the below list for application forms which correspond to common work. If you are not sure whether your work requires a permit, or should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact planning@conceptionbaysouth.ca, or call 834-6500 ext. 401.

I want to build, add, or replace… Application Form
–  Shed
–  Garage (detached)
–  Baby barn
–  Greenhouse, etc.
Accessory Building Application
–   Fence
–   Retaining wall
Miscellaneous Permit – Fence
Also see Fence Regulations
–   Deck
–   Patio
–   Wheelchair ramp
Miscellaneous Permit – Deck
–   Swimming Pool
(above or in-ground)
–   Wading pool
–   Water feature
Miscellaneous Permit – Swimming Pool


I want to undertake general exterior home or property maintenance to… Application Form
–   Roof shingles, sheathing
–   Siding, cladding, fascia, etc.
–   Windows, external doors
–   Broken boards or rails, or a section of a deck or fence
–   Cover entrance or stairwell
Miscellaneous Permit – General Repairs
Garden and other decorative features No permit required
Cosmetic interior upgrades such as flooring, cabinets, countertop, fixtures, etc. No permit required.

In most cases, a permit fee will be required at time of application with the completed form. These permits are processed within 1 to 2 business days. A Building Inspector will conduct a site visit and leave a permit card on site when approved.

Permits are valid for one year. If the work is started but not completed within one year, the permit must be renewed for an additional year. If the work has not started within one year, a new application is required.