The Town of Conception Bay South is committed to the development of a vibrant and successful tourism industry. Many community stakeholders have a part to play in enhancing visitor experiences. In doing so, there exists opportunities to grow existing commercial operations, foster the development of new business, and improve the profile of Conception Bay South as a tourist destination. The goal for Town Council is to position our community as the #1 day-trip destination on the Northeast Avalon.
As part of the Town’s commitment to the industry, the Tourism and Development Department has started several initiatives to aid in the pursuit of industry goals and objectives. These include:
- Striking a Tourism Development Committee, made up of tourism operators, citizens, councillors and partners like Destination St. John’s, the Department of Tourism, Culture Industry and Innovation (TCII), and the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- working with the Committee and partners to compose and implement a Tourism Action Plan for 2020
- hosting marketing and readiness sessions, and working one-on-one with businesses to increase the reach of their business marketing via the NL Tourism portal
- Providing resources and access to the latest in learning and practices for the Tourism industry
TOURISM ASSURANCE PLAN STANDARDS
The Tourism Assurance Plan (TAP) ensures that Newfoundland and Labrador’s tourism industry is able to remain competitive with other national and international destinations. TAP involves five common minimum standards that are aimed at promoting tourism organizations that provide quality travel experiences. TAP assists tourism services and attractions in improving the way they operate. The minimum standards include:
- The ability to communicate and receive messages from customers by telephone, email and an online presence; and at a minimum, accept credit and/or debit card payment and respond to inquiries on a daily basis.
- Possess and maintain valid licenses, permits and all other regulatory requirements to operate.
- Maintain current and sufficient levels of liability insurance. Proof of insurance to be provided upon request.
- Must deliver actual experiences or services being promoted and/or offered to the consumer.
- Must be in good standing with Tourism Assurance Plan’s complaints procedure.
The Tourism Assurance Plan is a significant step forward for the tourism industry in Newfoundland and Labrador. It will increase consumer/traveler confidence in the services and attractions we offer and contribute to the overall sustainability of our industry.
Market Readiness Guidelines – NL Tourism
Enhancing tourism market-readiness enables all operators to meet the expectations of visitors throughout their vacation experiences in Newfoundland and Labrador. Being mindful of market-readiness throughout all the key touch points on the visitor journey from the planning stage on through to arrival and departure is critical to delivering on the Newfoundland and Labrador brand promise and increasing value and appeal in our markets. The following market readiness guidelines are meant to serve as a guide for tourism operators and stakeholders as they make strategic investments to meet and, hopefully, exceed the expectations of visitors.
Tourism Readiness and Marketing
Below you will find copies of the presentations that our partners have given to attendees of our Marketing and Readiness Sessions. These valuable resources can help unlock the potential of tourism-based and -adjacent businesses; guide entrepreneurs with skills, stories, and talents who wish to get their piece of the tourism pie; and enhance the ability of businesses to reach visitors to our community.
Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador Resources
Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador offers a wide range of tools and resources that are of value to all organizations in the tourism industry. Here you will find a robust selection of resources specifically for your business. Visit the HNL resource page.
NL Tourism Visitor Profiles – May 2019